About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Thursday, August 14, 2014

Lucky Tricks

We had a fantastic mountain getaway, managing to fit a lot into a mere 24 hours. We drove from the mountain feeling happy and refreshed, vowing to return in the autumn when the leaves were changing.

We didn't want to leave, but once we got into the car I couldn't wait to get home. I tried to manage my growing anxiety, but all I wanted was to hold Timmy. This was the first time I have been away from him and, although I knew he was in fantastic hands, I worried about him. It turns out that my worries were unwarranted. He was a content little baby, smiling and flirting with laughing.

After resting at home for a few hours, it was time for another Wacky Week surprise. We went to play BINGO. Robby and I both have an affinity for the game, although for him it is more like a sport. His level of concentration as he prepares to mark his cards is impressive.

Robby focused with the intensity of a student studying for his SAT's. Unfortunately we didn't win, which was okay because the prizes were bottles of wine. (Personally, I thought wine was an odd choice for a prize considering that the event was touted as "family fun bingo night.") Regardless of not winning, we had a great time. It wasn't until we were leaving the building that I noticed that Robby was not wearing any underwear. When asked him why, he casually explained "Momom, I always take off my underwear for good luck. Why do you think I did so good in school last year?"

I was going to let it go, but I felt compelled to press him for more information. During the drive home I learned that Robby habitually removed his underwear at school before tests or evaluations. I never thought I would utter the sentence, "This year, why don't you try taking a test with your underwear on." He promised that he would, but I'm not confident that he will follow through. I can hardly wait until I have to field that phone call from his teacher!

No comments:

Post a Comment