About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Thursday, August 07, 2014

Robby Appreciation Day

Much to my chagrin, today will be busy. I'm going to see Elliot first thing in the morning to pick up my newest socket. I'm looking forward to it because my leg has shrunk significantly since Monday (when I received my last socket) and I'm tired of juggling padding to make it fit. I can't wait until I can just step into my leg and walk. Managing volume change stinks!

Immediately following my socket fitting, I have to drive to the Oncologist. Wow, I hate typing that sentence!  I have been trying to avoid thinking about this appointment.  I'm sure that the doctor is nice, but his office is not one in which I want to spend any time.  Every time I think about the upcoming surgery, I feel overwhelmed and scared. Intellectually I know that I'll be fine; I just wish I could get my heart to release the fears.

In an effort to fulfill my need to avoid, yesterday I resolved to stay busy by making Robby feel special. He has been a begrudgingly wonderful big brother. He is the first to admit that he is "not a big fan" of being a big brother, but he also enjoys entertaining Hamlet and making him smile. I know that the adjustment has been difficult, but he has handled it extremely well.  I'm proud of him and wanted to remind him that he is so special.

Initially he seemed confused when I wished him a Happy Robby Appreciation Day, but he quickly embraced the idea. From breakfast until bedtime, we let him make the decisions. Thankfully he didn't ask for anything outlandish!

After enjoying his requested breakfast of pancakes and bacon, he and his Daddy played Xbox for a
few hours. After lunch we hopped into the car and went bowling. To everybody's surprise, Robby rolled two consecutive strikes. Needless to say, he was a happy Koopa.

I loved celebrating Robby Appreciation Day so much that I think we just invented a new family tradition. Not only was Robby reminded that he is a special and important member of our family, but I was able to focus my attention on something other than my impending appointment. It was a win-win for both of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment