About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Friday, September 05, 2014

Lights... Cameras... Action

This has been an extraordinarily long week. The excitement of starting back to school, coupled with the change in schedule and my flying solo with Timmy for the first time since my surgeries have all combined to leave me utterly wiped out. I am looking forward to a weekend of lying around quietly and resting. I wonder if the boys will take the cue and keep their needs to a minimum?

Of course, the weekend has not yet started and today will perhaps be my busiest yet. I have a film crew arriving at my house in the morning. While I'm honored to have asked to participate, I will do anything to promote a positive perception for amputees, the timing certainly leaves much to be desired. This has been a hard week and the stress of preparing my house, my children and myself for a video has only added to my anxiety. 

Robby is delighted about a video crew coming to our house. Yesterday morning he commandeered Circle Time as he proudly informed his class about his participation in the video. I learned that he included me in the project at the tale end of his explanation by saying, "You probably don't know this by looking at her, but my Momom is kind of a big deal with amputees." While I would take issue with the legitimacy of his assertion, I love that he is proud of me. 

Typically I would be panicking about the state of our house and yard. However, perhaps because I am wrapping up an extremely stressful summer, right now I have other priorities. I called in the troops (a cleaning service) to tidy my house. As for my yard, I am waiving the white flag. If they want outdoor shots, I have arranged to use Mr. Bill's beautifully landscaped yard. After a summer of neglect, ours resembles the set of Sanford and Sons. Right now, but thankfully I have a neighbor who spends hours tinkering in his yard and doesn't mind sharing his creation.

Wish us luck today with the video shoot. Robby has been in front of the camera so many times he probably could be classified as professional. This is Timmy's debut and I have no clue how he will react. If he doesn't have a reflux episode, causing him to spew partially digested formula on the camera crew, I will consider it a success.

No comments:

Post a Comment