About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Monday, January 26, 2015

No School- Again

Robby missed school all of last week due to the flu. I hate that he lost so much classroom time, and part of me can't help but fret about everything he missed.  He doesn't get sick often, but when he does, he is usually out for an extended period of time. I know that his teachers will work with him to help him get caught up, but I'm his Mom and I guess I'll always worry.

My little guy was feeling better on Friday but his low grade fever convinced me to keep him home. By Saturday he had limited energy but no fever, and was beginning to show an interest in eating. By Sunday his appetite returned with a vengeance. I went to bed last night confident that our little Koopa could return to school in the morning.

Robby went to bed with a growing sense of optimism that his weekend would be extended.  For the past few days the weather forecast was touting an epic snowfall in our area.  Although no flakes were dancing from the sky when we turned off the lights for the night, he was convinced that school would be cancelled. 

I remember the excitement of impending snowfalls, which is perhaps why I felt horrible bearing the bad news in the morning. Our predicted snow never materialized, and instead we were dealing with a yucky cold rain. Why adults across the region were rejoicing not needing to shovel, kids were devastated.  Robby angrily declared that the weatherman was a liar after I finally convinced him that school was not cancelled.  I know that we dodged the bullet with this snowfall, but Robby sees the rain through a different, slightly angrier perspective.

So instead of our traditional snow day breakfast of cinnamon buns and bacon, Robby sat on the couch and complained (non-stop) about the "stupid stupid rain ruining the snow." Just when I was reaching my limit on listening to his lament I received a text. It was from Robby's school reminding parents that today is a teacher work-day and that there are no classes.  Are you kidding me?  He still isn't going to school!

Robby began jumping up and down (just before grabbing the Xbox controller) when I revealed the news. His rainy day smile has turned completely around, and it seems that the weatherman is almost forgiven for his mistake.  Hopefully we can resume some sort of schedule this week and life will return to normal, but I guess today is not that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment