About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Sour Mood- and Food

Yesterday can only be described as miserable.  I woke up at 4 AM with Timmy to discover a steady stream of freezing rain coating everything outside. Judging from how it looked and how my bones felt, I wasn't surprised by the 5 AM phone call informing us of a 2 hour school delay. Despite knowing that a delay was the correct decision, I was frustrated with yet another disruption in my schedule.

I had an appointment scheduled to start work on my activity leg. It feels like I've been waiting forever to become more active, and I was looking forward to trying out the new leg. Of course, the 2 hour delay meant that I was not going to be able to make my oh-so-carefully scheduled appointment.  I sent Elliot an email cancelling the appointment and promising to reschedule when the office opened.

By the time the sun rose, the temperature slowly nudged past freezing, but the rain never stopped falling. The sky was dark and dreary all day, enhancing my humdrum mood. I tried to be happy and jovial, but around lunch time I surrendered to the melancholy feelings. It simply took too much energy to feign happiness. 

Despite my blah mood, I tried to salvage the evening for Scott's benefit. He was looking forward to the big Ohio State National Championship game for weeks. Unbeknownst to him and in the spirit of the event, I prepared a special dinner of roasted mighty duck. Okay, it was actually a rotisserie chicken but I should get credit for trying, right?

While the "mighty duck" was spinning on the spit, I ventured downstairs to retrieve a bag of corn from our freezer. I opened the door and instantly knew that my day just went from bad to horrible. The freezer was stocked full of food, and it wasn't working.

I began to purge the freezer, dumping all of the food on the ground. I noticed that the shelves were iced over, and I was hopeful that was the issue. I spent the next two hours standing in the garage holding a hair dryer to the freezer trying to get all of the ice to melt. I was not a happy camper! My mood soured even more when I realized that the freezer was not running and my efforts were in vain.

Hopefully I'll be able to find another freezer today or I risk losing all of the food I have been preparing and saving. At the moment I'm not enjoying being an adult! Why was I in such a hurry to grow up when I was younger? If I could go back in time I would slap my younger self on the side of the head and tell her to stop rushing life. I don't want to be grown-up anymore!

On a positive note, the Buckeyes won last night.  I will have a happy husband today. Or at least he will wake up happy, because I'm sure that schlepping soggy food to the dump will probably put a damper on his spirits. 

No comments:

Post a Comment