About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Friday, March 06, 2015

Snow Fun- sort of

Yesterday the snow began to fall early in the morning and continued well past dark. Scott and Robby both had school called off the night before in anticipation of the storm, so both enjoyed sleeping in without worrying. Timmy and I quietly played in the living room until the others rolled out of bed. (I tried to convince Hamlet that he didn't need to wake up so early because it was a snow day, but he seemed unimpressed by my logic. I am close to abandoning all hope of his sleeping until a respectable time.)

Robby spent a few hours playing in the snow with his friend, but I opted to keep Timmy inside with me. I am still in a test socket and I worried that the cold and wet snow might cause the plastic to crack. With my going to Texas today I was not willing to take the risk, even if being cautious meant missing out on beating the kids in a snowball battle. 

Instead of playing outside I assumed Momom duties of baking cookies, prepping hot chocolate when requested and dressing, undressing and drying the snow clothes each time they came inside to warm up.  Helping Robby into his garb for the third time I found myself hating the inventor of snow bibs.  While functional, the clothing is difficult to get onto a fidgety, excited 8 year old.  And to think I have another 8+ years of wrangling bulky snow clothes onto kids!

Today the boys have off school again, which is not a surprise with the almost foot of snow that fell yesterday. I'm glad that they are home because it means that I won't have to drive myself to the airport. I wasn't looking forward to schlepping my bags from the long term economy parking lot to the terminal. I suppose I'm a little spoiled with the curb side drop off.  (I know that they will be stuck in traffic, especially when they come to pick me up Tuesday night, but hopefully they won't mind. Or if they do mind, I hope they keep their complaints to themselves.)

I'm headed to Texas and I'm relieved that I don't have to stress about driving to and from the airport. I'm certainly worried about everything else! My Dad isn't feeling well and I worry about his prognosis.  I am trying to avoid thinking about the inevitable and instead choosing to concentrate on the fact that, at this moment, he is still very much alive. Mourning now won't do anything to lessen the pain in the future, or at least that is what I tell myself.

Robby and Scott are going to have a "man's weekend" while I'm away.  It was decided that Timmy is too young to enjoy the bachelor based revelry, so he is spending some special time with my Mom.  I'll miss them both but I know that they are being spoiled and will be happy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment