About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Countdown to Conference

One week from today I'll be in Arizona preparing for the Amputee Coalition National Conference.  Although I don't doubt that I'll be busy, I am excited about reuniting with my amputee friends.  There is a camaraderie and acceptance that is pervasive within the limb loss community that I find both comforting and empowering.

At the National Conference, the roles are switched as individuals with limb loss become the majority.  Every time I attend this event, I find myself feeling empowered by the knowledge that, even if it is only for a few days, I am no longer the only one utilizing a prosthesis. For the duration of the event, I know that I won't be subjected to the gawking and the stares that have become part of my normal experience since becoming an amputee. The reality of the onlookers returns as soon as I leave the confines of the hotel, so I am going to soak up every moment of normalcy while I'm there. 

While I am working at conference, Scott and Robby will be on an adventure of their own.  Instead of driving directly to the meet me in Tucson, they will take a detour north to visit the Grand Canyon. I have heard Scott talking about his dream of seeing the Grand Canyon for as long as I have known him. I'm so excited that he is finally going to make this dream a reality, made even more special by the fact that he'll be sharing it with Robby. 

Their Grand Canyon adventure is sure to be epic because I have arranged for them to spend the night in a Wild West themed hotel. From mock gunfights in the courtyard to dancing saloon girls performing in the dining room, I know that they will both remember this experience for a lifetime. Part of me wishes that I would be able to share it with them, but I also realize that there is something special about a father and son bonding. I have no doubt that I will be inundated with photos and stories when we are reunited in Tucson.

While the three of us are in Arizona, Timmy will be spending a special week with his Nana and cousins in Pennsylvania where he will be doted upon and spoiled. He has a special relationship with his Nana and my only concern with his staying for a week is the worry that he won't want to come home. I will miss him dearly, but I don't expect the feelings to be reciprocated as he will thoroughly soak up the attention from everybody in the house!

The next few days will be busy as we all prepare for our respective adventures.  At this point, it is impossible to determine who is the most excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment