About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Childhood


After a wonderful week of adventures at my Mom's house,  we returned home. I guess all good things must come to an end, including the opportunities for me to achieve extra sleep. With Hamlet still waking up at 4 AM ready to run and play, sleeping until 7 was an absolute luxury.

While I was sad to leave the comforts of my Mom's house, it was nice to come home. We only have three more weeks left of summer vacation, and we have a lot to do before the boys return to school. It is hard to believe that summer has flown by so quickly!

Lately I have been thinking about my summers as a child. We had a travel camper and moved to campgrounds near the beach during the summer months. During the past few weeks when I am rocking Timmy, my mind has been wandering back to random childhood memories.  

Yesterday I remembered riding my bicycle through the dirt paths around the campground. My memories were so vivid I could almost feel my pigtails flying in the breeze as I pedaled around on my yellow banana seat bike.  Snapping myself back to reality, I felt an uncomfortable combination of longing, contrition and happiness.  In an odd way, I think I was homesick for my childhood.  

I would love to be able to take the boys to the Jersey boardwalk, even if just for one night. Spending my summers on the New Jersey shore, I know that there is something magical about the combination of smells, sounds and sights that can't be replicated. For some reason, I am feeling drawn back to those childhood experiences. I want to relive them with Scott, Robby and Timmy.  I don't know if I can convince Scott that the drive is worth the experience, but I'm going to give it a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment