About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Friday, October 28, 2016

New Leg Approved!

Yesterday morning I received an unexpected from my prosthetist Elliot. He asked me to make an appointment to come into the office to pick up my new Pro-Flex with Pivot foot.  I was flabbergasted, and assumed that he had texted the wrong patient.  After all, we had started the process for my new leg 14 months ago. I had all but given up on the hope of receiving a new leg this decade.

To my delight, he revealed that the issues with my insurance adjuster have finally been resolved. The foot had arrived in the office, and we received complete authorization to proceed. I felt like a young girl on Christmas morning; I actually squealed with delight.  Timmy, not knowing the reason but eager to join the fun, happily danced around the kitchen with me as we celebrated the new leg windfall. 

Ironically, earlier this week I wrote about my leg finally healing and feeling better. With the skin intact, this is the perfect time to begin the process for a new socket. Finally, the stars have aligned, and I am going to begin to build a new leg. I'm not looking forward to the process, but having a leg that fits perfectly will be worth the effort.

Today I am chaperoning a field trip, so I am not able to see Elliot to begin my new leg until Monday. I'm a little bummed out that I have to wait through the weekend, but after 14 months I suppose a few more days doesn't matter. If everything goes well, this will be the last weekend on my current leg.  I can't wait to put my new leg through its paces, hopefully it will provide me with the functionality I need to keep up with an ever quickening Timmy!

No comments:

Post a Comment