About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Tuesday, January 03, 2017

Choo Choo

All aboard!

Ever since Timmy discovered a small Thomas the Train in the bottom of his Christmas stocking he has been entranced. From the moment he wakes up until he goes to bed at night he is playing with his little trains.  My once spacious living room has been transformed into a train depot, complete with a ride-on train that takes up the majority of the the room. My goal is to keep a pathway clear so that I can walk through the room without tripping, but unfortunately I have already smashed one small cargo car. (Wearing a prosthetic in this situation is a mixed blessing. It doesn't hurt when I step on the small plastic toys, but they almost always break under the pressure.)

Playing with the trains has provided Timmy with an outlet and a focus that, in retrospect, he was lacking. He is no longer the hardcore mischief maker that I was trying to wrangle before Christmas. Don't get me wrong, he still has his moments of curious and naughty ventures, but overall he has calmed down. I think that much of his behavior was due to boredom. While he had a lot of toys, nothing really piqued his interests until he discovered Thomas.

Last night Timmy and I dug out all of the track pieces, trains and buildings that mesmerized Robby. The toys are now Timmy's, and his enthusiasm and joy is mirroring his brother at that age. I remember feeling sad when I finally accepted that Robby had outgrown playing with his beloved trains. Bringing them out again and setting up the train table brought me an indescribable sense of happiness. I absolutely love the train phase!



No comments:

Post a Comment