About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Monday, October 16, 2017

Squeaking and Slides

After more than a week of batting the family virus between people, I am hoping that we have finally eradicated it for good. Timmy's fever broke Saturday morning, and he has quickly rebounded and has been full of energy.  My ear is no longer painful and the ringing is becoming more of a nuisance reminder instead of the nagging frustration from last week.  Robby spent the weekend without a fever and Scott has still not been impacted by the family plague. 

With Timmy feeling stronger and chomping at the bit to release some energy, yesterday afternoon I took Timmy on some errands. As we were driving I noticed a pumpkin stand on the side of the road. The farmers set up a variety of moon bounce houses and slides, enticing anybody with young kids off the main road and into their parking lot.  With Timmy feeling well and the sky a beautiful blue, I couldn't think of a reason to say no so I turned the car around so that we could play for a few hours. He was ecstatic with his good fortune!

He jumped, ran and slid for nearly two hours. I was astounded that a little boy who had been so sick last week was now so strong and healthy. He went up and down the ginormous inflatable slide a total of 48 times. That's a lot of climbing for little legs! By the time we were ready to leave he was a sweaty, red faced and dirty mess. He was also smiling from ear-to-ear as he fell asleep in his car seat during the quick drive home.  

I didn't go down the slide with him, but I did enjoy some time in the bounce houses and on the jump pad. When there weren't many kids around I joined him to jump and play, bailing from the structure as soon as others arrived. I didn't bounce nearly as much as him, but I was both winded and sweaty by the end of our impromptu roadside adventure.  

Unfortunately I think I did something to my prosthetic foot when I was jumping because now I squeak with every step. It isn't a squeak from the foot shell, which has happened before and is a relatively easy fix. I took my leg apart and I can't stop the sound. In fact, I think my attempts might have made the squeak louder.

Last night I was walking through the hallway and I saw the cat across the room, with her tail straight up and preparing to pounce. I thought she was going after a bug. It wasn't until I felt her jumping into my socket that I realized she was stalking my squeaky foot.(Thank goodness for my carbon fiber socket because I was spared from the claws.) She either thinks my foot is a mouse or a toy. Either way when the cat starts to attack the sound, it is time to get it fixed!

No comments:

Post a Comment