About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Wednesday, February 07, 2018

Renewed!

After what has felt like an eternity, yesterday I felt like I was returning to normal. Nobody had a fever, school started on time and my schedule was void of any doctor appointments. I felt liberated being untethered by illness and obligations. I decided to celebrate our return to society by taking Timmy to Toddler Time at SkyZone.  

My little Hamlet was overjoyed to return to one of his favorite places. He chanted in the car as we drove there and began to giggle when we walked through the familiar doors. As soon as we put on the grip socks, he took off to jump and play. We haven't been to Toddler Time for several months, but he certainly didn't miss a beat.

Jumping while wearing a prosthesis takes a little planning. Before leaving I thoroughly lotioned my limb in preparation for some heavy impact, a safeguard that I learned the hard way. Without the added moisture, the natural pistoning within my socket when I jump quickly leads to skin irritation and eventual breakdown. A few hours on the trampoline can quickly lead to weeks of struggling with skin sores if I am not careful. While I'm not great at planning ahead, I am getting better.  

While I love to jump with him, it is hard for this one legged, middle aged, slightly plump lady to keep up with a bouncing three year old! Although I was sweaty and tired, I am actually proud of my ability to hold my own on the trampolines. As an added bonus, I reached the goal on my fitness tracker before Toddler Time was over.

After Scott got home from work, I left for a much needed haircut. As I was driving to the salon it occurred to me that I haven't been alone in over one month. No wonder I have been feeling frazzled! The pampering from the salon, coupled with a sassy new hairstyle, left me feeling rejuvenated and transformed. I feel ready to conquer the world again, which is a good thing because schools are closed (again) today due to ice.

No comments:

Post a Comment