About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Monday, July 23, 2018

The Great Flood II

Saturday the boys and I packed up and we headed back home. The weather did not cooperate with our driving plans, and the skies opened up almost as soon as we got onto the highway. Driving home through torrential downpours was miserable and made our trip considerably longer than normal. 

I thought that the weather impact was limited to the drive home. The rain continued to fall throughout the evening, causing our creek to rise higher than we have ever seen. Our typical leaks sprung in our roof, and Scott and I spent the evening emptying buckets of water and laying down towels. 

When I woke up on Sunday I was relieved that the rain had finally stopped falling. According to the news, we received nearly 7 inches in about 5 hours. Yikes! No wonder the creek was high and our walls were wet. Trying to focus on happier days, I went downstairs to retrieve our suitcases so that we could begin to pack for Sea Turtle Internship.  

One step onto the carpet in our basement and I knew we had an issue. The carpets were waterlogged, and everything on the ground was soaked. We have been in this house for 13 years, but this is only the second time this has happened. From what we figure, the rain was falling at such a clip that the water wasn't able to flow away from the house fast enough. Instead it pooled in front of the sliding glass door, eventually leaking into the house.  

I spent Sunday trying to extract as much water from the carpet as possible. After I was satisfied that I couldn't get anymore out, I turned on the fans and dehumidifier. I then set out to sort and trash everything that had been impacted by the flood. Now our trashcan is full, and we have some overflow bags in the garage. 

The floor is still damp but it is improving. At some point we will need to address the cause of the flood and the holes in our roof. Sigh. Sometimes being an adult stinks!

No comments:

Post a Comment