About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Wednesday, November 20, 2019

Waiting for the Next Shoe to Drop

Last week my Great-Uncle Charlie passed away. He was 91 and lived a full and wonderful life, facts that we are finding solace in as our family grieves. I can't help but smile as I envision Uncle Charlie and my Nan (his sister) reunited again. 

In addition to being my grandmother's younger brother, my Uncle Charlie holds a special place in my little family for a very specific reason. He gave Robby his Charlie Cat. It is hard to believe that we adopted that little orange furball nearly a decade ago. My goodness time is moving too fast!

Yesterday I heard from Mr. Bill, who left the neighborhood a year ago to live in Florida. I miss him dearly, but I know that the void is even more profound for Robby. Mr. Bill isn't one for talking on the phone, so our conversations are always concise. Unfortunately, he wasn't calling me with his typical lighthearted banter.

Mr. Bill had a heart attack and underwent a stent replacement surgery. A lump formed in my throat as soon as he told me the news. I could feel the tears start to swell in my eyes as I listened to him recount the experience from feeling pain to ending up in the operating room. I wish that he lived across the street again so that I could check in on him, give him hugs and just help out. 

Mr. Bill sounded sad but strong. He promised that he was feeling okay, all things considered, and pledged to take it easy.  I hope that he upholds his promise because we still need him in our lives (even if it is from a distance.)

They say that bad things happen in threes, so I am feeling on edge. I don't think I can handle more bad news, so I'm hoping that the adage isn't true!

No comments:

Post a Comment