About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Thursday, April 30, 2020

Game Board

I am by no means a crafty person. While I enjoy going to craft fairs and shopping artisan shops, my talents and patience are limited. During the quarantine, I've been looking for activities to do with the kids while supporting local businesses. Robby's former art teacher started selling do-it-yourself wood painting kits, and I decided it would be a fun family activity.

As soon as I unpacked the kit I realized that it was not family friendly. Between the sticky stencils and the highly pigmented real paint (as opposed to the temper paints we usually use), bringing the kids into this activity was going to be a disaster. I put the kit to the side and figured I would give it to my niece.  

Yesterday, out of pure boredom, I decided to break my "no craft" resolution by tackling the kit by myself. I was surprised by how much fun I actually had crafting. Perhaps going into the challenge knowing that I lacked the talent and holding no expectations for creating a masterpiece are the keys for me to enjoy creating art.  

My color blocks are sloppy and the pattern is somehow wrong (although I still can't figure out how I managed to mess that up), but I had a really good time working on my little project. I know that it isn't perfect, but neither are we. Somehow this little game board perfectly reflects our family during quarantine. We are messy, somewhat off yet still trying to remain fun. 


No comments:

Post a Comment