About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Thursday, March 25, 2021

A Plan

After years of prosthetic frustrations, dealing with discomfort and making do, I finally see light at the end of my woes. My meeting with the new prosthetist was phenomenal. I have never had such a thorough appointment! We spent nearly two hours dissecting my issues, troubleshooting and triaging my issues and developing a plan. After winging it for so long, it feels liberating to have a plan again!

As I expected, my limb has taken a beating over the past few years. Squeezing into ill-fitting sockets and wearing inadequate liners have damaged the tissue on both the bottom and the top of my limb. I knew that damage was occurring, but I was naive about the severity. 

Despite the damage, we are optimistic that surgical intervention may be staved off. I was fit with a new liner and suspension system during the appointment. Combined with some meticulously placed pads in my socket, I am able to walk with comfort. We are actively resting and repositioning the tissue within my socket to allow my limb to heal without compromising my mobility. 

My limb feels different within the socket, but I am not feeling discomfort. After walking for so long with the tissue misplaced, it is going to take time to adjust to the correct balance within my socket. I'm excited to heal and to resume my life without prosthetic pain and frustrations.  

It took me a long time to break away and try a new practitioner. After my appointment yesterday, I have no doubts that it was the right decision. I only wish I had the courage to go earlier.

No comments:

Post a Comment