About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Monday, July 03, 2023

20 years

20 years ago today I was in an operating room in Baltimore Maryland, undergoing my amputation. Most years I am able to pass my ampuversary with an acknowledgement of another year and a celebratory cupcake. This year is different. I have felt haunted by the memories of my life 20 years ago.

When my mind starts to drift back and mourn, I know I am going into a dark place. The memories, while powerful, are heartbreaking and exhausting to relive. I want to celebrate everything positive in my life, everything that I would not have had I not made that decision twenty years ago. I can't make my thoughts obey and I keep floating back in time. 

I suspect that today is going to be rough, so I am going to try to stay as busy as possible. At this point, I consider myself fully in the middle of the ampuversary abyss. I need to tread water and keep moving until it is over. I don't want to break down today but I fear that it is building. 

I guess some years are tougher than others.

No comments:

Post a Comment