About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Tuesday, November 14, 2023

20 years

 Over the weekend I celebrated my 20th Walking Day. Our celebrations this year were muted because we were at the mall selling FlexyFriends, but I did take some time to reflect upon how far I have come in those two decades. Out of all of the anniversaries and dates involved with my limb loss, Walking Day is my favorite because it celebrates a triumph rather than marking something that happened to me. 

Two decades ago I never would have imagined that I would be where I am today. I remember feeling so uncertain and scared that my amputated body would always feel foreign and uncomfortable. I was promised that it would become my new norm, but I don't think I really believed the sentiment.  

Two decades have passed and I can say that living as an amputee has become my normal. I am not saying that it is always easy. Nor am I saying that I don't have frustrations where I am either in pain or limited because of a prosthetic issue. But I am saying that I don't think about being an amputee throughout the day. When I first had my amputation, I was scared that what was cut off of me would somehow become my identity. 

I am more than my amputation. But I am the person I am today because of everything that I have gone through. Being an amputee has become part of who I am, but it does not define me. If you are new to limb loss, please know that it won't define you either.

No comments:

Post a Comment