About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Friday, May 17, 2024

Last Class

 Today marks the end of an era.  For seven years (with the exception of the lock down during the pandemic), Robby has participated in classes at a local enrichment school. The first class he enrolled in was 3d History- World War II. He has taken every class offered by that teacher over the past seven years. Today Robby goes to that school for the final time. 

Because of scheduling conflicts and an interest in more classes, this year I have been traveling to and from his school twice a week. Because his school is 45 minutes away, dropping him off is not a quite task. After driving the trip twice a week all year, I am surprised by my emotions this morning. I am going to be happy to save the gas, but I am going to miss taking him there. 

I loved watching Robby's face as he emerged from class. I could tell from his smile how well the class went. (He never had a bad class so a scowl was never seen on Compass days.) On the drive home he would regale me with tales from class and begin to lay plans for future challenges. In full disclosure, I still do not fully understand the game that he plays at school. But I have come to appreciate the joy that it brings to Robby, and for that I am grateful. 

Today is his last class at school and tomorrow marks his final band performance. On Sunday I turn 50 and next week we head to NOLA for Robby's award ceremony.  Everything is starting to happen very quickly!

No comments:

Post a Comment