About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Thursday, October 29, 2009

Moms Say The Strangest Things...

Since I've become a Mom, I've caught myself saying some phrases I never thought I would mutter. In my glossy, glamorous and apparently unrealistic visions of motherhood, these cliches were not going to be needed. After all, my child certainly wouldn't necessitate them. Wrong!

The most commonly said on my "I never thought I would actually use these phrases" would be: because I'm the Mom; was it a big poop or a little poop; and no, boogies do not taste yummy in tummy. Other sayings I've resorted to on occasion include: Mommy doesn't know how to fix that; we'll have to wait for Daddy; you will never be President with that behavior and don't make me tell Santa.

I have heard a lot of phrases come across my lips during the past few years. This morning, I found myself telling Robby something I never imagined. It caught me off guard, and I couldn't help but laugh as soon as the words were said.

I was on the phone with my Mom, and Robby was on the floor playing quietly. At least, that is what he was doing when I dialed the phone. Lately he begins a circus act as soon as I start talking on the phone!

I was chatting with both my Mom and Robby, as I have mastered the art of maintaining a conversation with an adult and amusing a toddler simultaneously. Robby began to tug at my leg. When asked about his intentions, he told me that he wanted to "try on Mommy's leg."

That's when I said it. "Robby, you can't try Mommy's leg on right now because I need it to walk. You can play with my leg later." I had to laugh thinking how funny those words sounded. To him, these statements are the norm.

I suppose that all parents find themselves muttering unusual phrases to their children. Having a disability merely amplifies the opportunities for the utterances.

1 comment:

  1. Oh how I love to hear younger moms catch themselves saying or doing things they never thought they would. "My kid will never..." was one of my pre-mom phrases that turned out to be words I would eat humbly. Enjoy the fun stuff it flies by, think how young mine were when you met them and how old they are now. My "baby" graduates this year. Love ya.

    ReplyDelete