About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Friday, October 30, 2009

Trick or Treat!!

I am excited about Halloween. Robby has been watching Charlie Brown's Great Pumpkin for weeks now and is eager to go trick-or-treating, hoping to get candy and rocks. (Charlie Brown wasn't thrilled getting only rocks in his trick or treat bag, but my little guy thinks it would be great fun.) I am excited for Robby. I must admit, I am also eagerly anticipating putting The Great Pumpkin away for another year.

Halloween is truly an event in our family. We start planning our costumes months ahead of the holiday. Scott certainly has a lot of "quirks," but he is a wonderful sport when it comes to my desire for matching family clothes and costumes.

To his credit, he put his stamp on Halloween before Robby was born. He began dreaming of taking his new baby Trick or Treating, in coordinating costumes, the Halloween I was pregnant with Robby. It was at this time that I learned that Scott considered Trick or Treating to be a strictly Daddy activity. Mommy's were to stay at home and hand out candy.

Robby's first Halloween I struggled to find an appropriate father/ son costume. After all, Robby was only 5 months old and wasn't interested in anything beyond his bottle and Binkie. After much consideration, I came up with the perfect costume!

Scott was a large hot dog, and Robby was a little hot dog. They looked so adorable all dressed in their costumes. Robby was too young to know what was occurring, but Scott and I fully involved him in the holiday. After all, traditions start early!

Scott left, waddling in his hot dog costume, holding our little hot dog and plastic pumpkin. I watched from the porch as he went to our neighbor's house. Unfortunately the neighbors were not home. Their dogs were, and met Scott at the edge of the driveway. The next thing I knew, I saw a giant hot dog waddling away as quickly as possible being chased by two angry and hungry looking dogs.

The unveiling of the father/son costumes has become a much anticipated event in our small neighborhood. In addition to the hot dogs, Scott and Robby have dressed as Curious George and the Man in the Yellow Hat as well as a Gingerbread Cookie (Robby) running away from the cookie sheet (Scott).

This has been the first Halloween Robby has indicated a costume preference. My creativity has been somewhat strained by his costume request. After careful planning, I am pleased with the resulting costumes. It will be quite a surprise to our friends.

This Saturday I will make our traditional Halloween dinner: roasted raven (turkey), mutilated potatoes (purple mashed potatoes) and ghost teeth (corn). Then Robby and Scott will get dressed in their costumes. Pictures will be taken, and they will go Trick-or-Treating. I usually don't blog on Saturday, but I will post pictures of"my boys" in their costumes.

No comments:

Post a Comment