About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Monday, February 08, 2010

Snowapalooza

Snowapalooza is here. At least, that is what the February 2010 snowstorm has been named in the DC area. We were warned that we could receive as much as 30 inches of snow. I love the snow, but that sounded like a lot.

Scott went to the store for lunch meat, potato chips and beer: all of the provisions when you are going to be snowbound. He worked for three hours to put the plow on the front of our lawn mower. Firewood was brought inside. He was ready to ride out the storm.

I packed up Robby and headed for Pennsylvania where they were forecast to receive merely 20 inches. With a Pennsylvania grocery store run complete, we were completely stocked with milk, diapers, bread, pizza and chocolate cake. Bring on the snow!

We woke up to a world blanketed in fluffy white. Robby was excited and eager to go outside to play. With the help of my Mom, Robby and I dressed in our winter garb and headed outside. We couldn't find Robby's gloves, but luckily we had a spare pair. Much to his chagrin, he finally agreed to wear the mittens.

My snow leg (coincidentally the same prosthesis acts as my swim leg in the summer) was snug and uncomfortable, but I figured that there was nothing that could be done. I was going to have to live with it. After all, there was snow to be shoveled and snowballs to be thrown.

The snow was nearly as tall as Robby. He just kept saying, "Super super super big snow." He had a blast "helping" me shovel. He even joined me in singing "I am Woman" as I was heaving the heavy snow over my shoulder. I was proud of my strength, contemplating that this one-legged woman was shoveling through 23 inches.

After over an hour of shoveling and snow fun, Robby was ready to come inside. We wanted to warm up and eat cookie dough before going back outside. I was happy to grant this request as my leg was aching and becoming increasingly uncomfortable.

Ushered immediately into the laundry room by my mom, I began to strip the layers off Robby. Piles of snow were falling around him as his snowsuit, boots, gloves and coat were removed. I shoved his wet clothes into the dryer and began to take off my snow clothes.

I slipped off my snow leg in order to take off my snow pants. Finally I felt relief from my super tight and uncomfortable socket. I was amazed at how uncomfortable my leg had become in just a few short weeks since the last snow. I am not sure what prompted me, but I reached inside the socket.

I found Robby's lost gloves.

Apparently I had pushed them into my snow/swim leg when I was packing for our trip. I was in such a hurry to go outside that I didn't look inside my socket before putting on my snow leg. The moral to this story: look inside your socket if your leg is suddenly uncomfortable or if something is missing. You never know what you're might find inside!

No comments:

Post a Comment