About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Monday, February 28, 2011

My Hero... My Cousin

Saturday morning, my older cousin Bob became my hero. He was asked to help a stranger whom he will probably never meet in person. He asked for nothing in return, and I have no doubt he would have refused compensation had it been offered. He gave a family hope and perhaps saved a life. He donated his bone marrow.

Bob joined the bone marrow registry several years ago at the urging of Jen, his longtime girlfriend. Jen was battling leukemia and understood the importance of building a comprehensive donor base. Unfortunately, we lost Jen nearly two years ago. I know that a day doesn't pass where she is not missed.

On Friday night Bob received a phone call that he his bone marrow was needed. Immediately, we all thought of Jen when we were told the news. I have no doubt that she is proud of Bob. Jen's legacy is providing hope for another family who is fighting the battle of their lives to save a loved one. I can think of no greater tribute. I hope that donating his bone marrow in Jen's honor will help my cousin grieve his loss.

I imagine that Bob's bone marrow is the ammunition that this patient needs to win the war. Bob is also a cancer survivor and he is strong. so the recipient is going to be infused with the very best!

I registered to be a bone marrow donor several months ago. I was surprised at how easy the process was to become a member of the registry. About a week after completing the online application I received packet of information and two swabs in the mail. I swabbed the inside of my cheeks and sent the mailer back. I did not even have to pay for postage.

About a month ago I was called and asked to provide a blood sample. I was thrilled that I was a potential donor for stem cells. I had the blood drawn but I have not heard anything, so I am assuming that I was not a match.

If you have ever thought about placing your information on the bone marrow registry, you can learn about the process here. You never know- maybe somebody is waiting for you to save their life!



My Hero!

No comments:

Post a Comment