About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

White House


Yesterday was a wonderfully exhausting day. By the time we came home from the Egg Roll, all we wanted to do was grab something to eat and go to bed. Robby didn't even try to wrangle an extra cartoon before bedtime!

Since our time slot for the Egg Roll wasn't until 4:30, we didn't feel the need to rush into DC in the morning. We got to the gate about two hours early, but there was little to do except stand in an unshaded line, along with thousands of other eager egg rollers, and wait.

Thankfully the volunteers were well trained and spotted my prosthetic. I, along with Scott and Robby, were ushered out of the long and winding line. With a handful of others with disabilities, we were taken to private, shaded spot outside the White House gate to await our admittance. We were offered cold drinks and were able to rest before the festivities. I don't think I have ever been so grateful to be an amputee!

Since we were moved to the "handicapped" group, we were admitted to the event about ten minutes before the general public. After I saw the stampede of people vaulting through the lines to enter, I realized the logic behind our early entry. Our priority access wasn't as much of a courtesy as it was a matter of public safety. I surely would have been trampled had I been in the path.

Since the event was named the Egg Roll, we thought it was appropriate to participate in that activity first. Robby was among the first egg rollers of our time slot. He took his wooden spoon and said, "Don't worry Momom, I've got this one in the bag." Considering that he had never rolled an egg before, I am not sure where he gained his confidence.

The whistle blew, and all of the other kids started rolling their eggs. Robby calmly bent down, put the spoon under the egg and flung it about five feet in the air to the finish line. He then dropped his spoon and ran after his flying egg. He was thrilled that both he and his cracked egg made it to the finish line before his competitors. He was awarded a poster and a packet of pepper seeds as a prize for winning!

We spent the rest of our time visiting the various stations set up throughout the grounds. Scott tried numerous times to convince Robby to attend the Storytime Theater. Robby refused, instead opting to decorate an egg magnet. Scott attended the story telling session, which I thought was odd. It all made sense when I looked at the pictures when we arrived home. Apparently Geena Davis was doing the reading. Judging the by sheer number of photos, my husband apparently has a crush on her.




I don't think that our day could have been better. Robby Rotten stayed away with the exception of one appearance. Robby threw himself down on the ground and started screaming because we wouldn't let him climb a tree (that happened to be roped off.) Thankfully a uniformed man carrying an automatic rifle walked by and that distracted him from his tantrum.

We ended up leaving about 30 minutes early. Tired and hungry, Robby told us that he either wanted to go inside the White House to take a nap, or he wanted to go home. Since we didn't have Black Bear with us, we decided it was probably best to just go home and ask for a sleep-over another time.














** I would also like to remind those who are interested to watch The Angel Effect tonight on the National Geographic Channel at 10:00 pm. I was filmed for the show!

No comments:

Post a Comment