About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Friday, May 06, 2011

Mother's Day!

Since the Pirate Cruise last Sunday, my little guy eats and breathes everything piratical. He insists on being referred to as "Pirate Robby" and poor Charlie Cat has been forced to walk the plank more times than I can count. I've used my entire eye liner pencil maintaining his pirate mustache that was painted on his face last week. I'm going to be forced to venture into lipsticks if I don't get to the store soon!

Yesterday, after my little buccaneer and I engaged in another epic sword fight in the front yard, our neighbor Mr. Bill came over to visit. He apparently had been watching our pirate reenactment for awhile--he mentioned that he missed General Hospital because of the show in our yard. After a chuckle and some small talk, Mr. Bill gave me one of the highest compliments I could have received. He looked at me in the eyes and said, "You know Peggy, you are a really good Mom."
With Robby Rotten's behavior from Tampa still haunting my dreams, I needed that affirmation!

I often refer to Robby as my miracle. After my diagnosis and treatment for cancer, it was doubtful that I would be able to have a child. When I became pregnant the first time, I was ecstatic. Imagine my heartbreak when the doctor clarified by saying that he didn't suspect I would have trouble getting pregnant, but that he felt that maintaining the pregnancy would be difficult. My heart broke when I miscarried several weeks later.

When I became pregnant with Robby, I somehow knew that he was going to be carried to term. My body was stronger and I was healthier. It wasn't an easy pregnancy; I was actually placed on bed rest for the final trimester. Despite all of the obstacles, he was born healthy and at full term.

The instant he was born, I vowed to cherish every single moment. Even when I was exhausted from midnight feedings and I thought that I wasn't going to be able to handle another sleep deprived day, I would remember that the stage is fleeting. Knowing that I may never have another baby, I have made an effort to soak up every experience.

Robby is going to be five at the end of this month. I can honestly say that I have made an effort to be fully active in every stage of his development. I have spent countless hours pushing cars and playing pirates. We pretend to fish in the stream and then look for meteorites through the yard. Last week we played with a baby snake that he found in the yard! None of these activities I would consider fun. However, because I was with Robby, there was nothing else I would rather be doing in that moment than watching him have fun and learn.

I would be lying if I didn't admit that I would love to have another child. However, I am not going to spend time lamenting what might not happen. Instead I am going to focus on enjoying what I have right now, the best little mischievous cookie dough snitching pirate ever! Mr. Bill calling me a good Mom made me feel fantastic. In a way, I felt validated by his observation.

I hope that everyone has a wonderful Mother's Day. I know that I will thoroughly enjoy the runny eggs and cold burnt toast that will be proudly presented by my little boy and his Daddy. If the boys oversleep, I will hear the garage door open as they drive to Starbucks for coffee and a scone. In either case, I'll pretend to still be sleeping, which will be difficult after hearing crashing pans in the kitchen followed by the pitter-patter of not so quiet feet sneaking down the hall.

I'll post Mother's Day pictures on Sunday. Have a great weekend, and a Happy Mother's Day.

3 comments:

  1. Peggy, every time I read about your activities with Robby, I think to myself what an awesome mother you are, and how rare that is. When I read about your times with RobbyRotten I empathize, because I've been there with college boy. Looking back, those difficult times are all a blur and just a part of his learning to be the wonderful young man he is today at 21. Happy Mother's Day to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mary! I hope that you have a wonderful Mother's Weekend (I've decided we deserve more than one day)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Peggy you are an amazing mom and don't ever forget it <3

    ReplyDelete