About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Angry Chicken

Since I introduced my travel boycott, Robby and I have been spending a lot of time in our little pool. It continues to amaze me how 34 inches of water can be so entertaining for a five year old. Of course, I would be lying if I didn't admit that I'm having fun as well!

Until recently I had forgotten how good my limb feels in water. Being completely unweighted and suspended by the cool water, even in our small pool, feels absolutely wonderful. I have begun to slip off my water leg, opting to be completely unhindered.

Although I take off my leg, I continue to wear the liner. I don't want my residual limb to become sunburned, and I view the liner as a protection against the sun's rays. Perhaps the paramount reason for wearing my liner involves safety. Because we are playing in water, I want to make sure that I am able to become ambulatory quickly should Robby become hurt. Wearing the liner ensures that I will be able to quickly step into my leg and run should we need assistance. Of course, now I have a strange tan line on my leg!

Robby's favorite game in the pool was created by him and has been dubbed "Angry Chicken." I have been assigned the role of "Momom Chicken." Robby is the farmer who tries to get me back to the grill so that he can eat me. I try to escape him by flipping him off my back by rocking from side to side. Oh, and I should mention that I have to scream "Bock bock bock" each time the "farmer" takes an imaginary bite out of me. It's amazing how far an invisible fork can reach!

I have been playing Angry Chicken everyday for at least three hours at a time. Robby doesn't seem to get tired. I've certainly noticed that my time on "the grill" increases as the afternoon wears on. Between the bocking sounds, squeals of "I'm going to eat you Momom Chicken... watch out for the barbecue sauce" and the splashing, I shudder to think what the neighbors must think.

With both my increased bike riding and playing in the pool, this Momom Chicken feels like her feathers have been completely plucked by the end of the day. I can't wait to crawl into bed and just lie still. Of course, I can only do this after I walk my pledged mile!

No comments:

Post a Comment