About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Tour Time

Every morning after properly waking up with a cup (or two) of coffee, I slip into my riding clothes and head downstairs. I climb onto my bicycle trainer and virtual trainer and transport myself into an animated cycling adventure. In the month of July everything changes!

While I can still be found riding my bike, I could care less about what the trainer display is showing. I am transfixed as I pedal along with my all-time favorite sporting event. I love the Tour de France.

I haven't always been a cycling fan. In fact, I initially hated the sport. I was, literally, a captive audience. Scott was watching the Tour and had control over the remote control when I was recovering from my amputation. I couldn't walk to another TV, so I was left with no option but to watch.

I quickly became a die-hard fan. Witnessing the determination, the self-sacrifice and the sheer willpower exhibited by these athletes is inspiring. In my opinion, those who scoff at cycling as a sport have probably never bothered to watch!

When I ride during the month of July, my eyes are glued to the television. Sometimes I become so engrossed in the coverage that I forget I am in my basement. I become transported to the roads of France as I pedal and sweat along with my fellow cyclists. I seem to ride longer and harder during the Tour, often pedaling upwards of 40 miles at a time.

I have to give props to my husband. He not only understands how important the Tour has become to me, but also he indulges my quirky cycling fantasy. Scott has even been known to play the role of a schloog while cheering me on. A schloog is the term coined to describe the spectators along the route who are dressed in outlandish costumes to cheer on the riders.

The Tour is entering the mountain stages, and I am giddy with excitement. Our fridge is stocked with PowerAid Zero and my padded cycling shorts are clean. While putting away laundry yesterday I happened to notice that Robby and Scott's SuperHero shirts now have capes attached. This year I think I might have two schloogs to cheer me up the mountains, and I couldn't be happier!

No comments:

Post a Comment