About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Thursday, July 12, 2012

Olympic Moment

Oscar Pistorius is a bilateral (meaning both legs) below knee amputee from South Africa. In case you haven't been watching the news or listening to the radio during the past week, you might not know that he will be competing in the Olympics in track and field.

I was completely taken by surprise when I first learned of Oscar being named to the Olympic team. If I had been asked to predict my reaction, I would have sworn that  I would be happy for him but would be relatively unaffected emotionally. Even before I became an amputee, my motivation and inspiration has never been derived by those with extraordinary athletic prowess. 


Imagine my surprise when upon hearing the news of Oscar being named to the team, I broke down sobbing. I must have looked like a fool standing in the check-out line at Costco with tears streaming down my cheeks, giggling like a school girl with a big old grin on my face. I was elated that somebody who has become the poster child for amputee strength and resolve has made it to the greatest sporting event in the world, all while wearing carbon fiber feet!


For the remainder of the weekend, I had chills every time I imagined him proudly walking into the Olympic stadium wearing his prosthetics. By showing the world that he can compete and hold his own with his bi-legged peers, he is holding a new banner of strength and independence for amputees. For a few moments this summer, a global discussion on amputees and our abilities, not our disability, will occur.  
 

We are more than our limbs and our lost body parts. We are a group of strong and determined individuals who, when we are given the right tools and put in the hard work, can achieve greatness. It really doesn't matter if he wins a medal. The hope that is being reaped by new amputees, especially children who are scared about living a life with a prosthesis, is more precious than any gold that will be awarded during the games. He has already won because he is proving that all is possible!

No comments:

Post a Comment