About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Thursday, December 06, 2012

Haiti

We had an absolutely wonderful day yesterday, exploring Haiti and soaking up the warm sun. It was surreal walking along the beach in shorts in December!  It was impossible to remain sullen and frustrated by the pain I'm experiencing when surrounded by the white sands and gentle waves.

To quote Robby's synopsis of the day, it was "totally freaking epic." He thoroughly enjoyed playing in the waves with his daddy, looking for seashells and building a castle and cupcake factory made out of sand. I am not sure where he inherited his sand castle building abilities, but his structures have surpassed anything I could create!

After lounging and playing in the surf, we boarded a small boat to be taken to another part of the island. There, the two boys continued to play in the ocean while we awaited our turn to tour the village. Since Robby is missing a week of school, I have insisted that we do an educational excursion at each location. Yesterday we toured a Haitian fishing village, where Robby was taught how to tie a fishing net, how to throw the net for fish and how to make homemade peanut butter. Obviously he was more impressed by the fishing aspects than the nut crushing, but he was well behaved throughout the tour.

This morning we are heading to Jamaica, where we will spend another day on the beach. I'll write more details, and hopefully post pictures, when I have a more reliable internet connection. Internet is 60 cents a minutes, so I suspect photos will have to wait until I'm stateside! 

No comments:

Post a Comment