About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Wednesday, December 05, 2012

Our Oceanic Adventure

Yesterday was overcast, windy day at sea. We attempted to go to the pool, only to have my crutches become airborne when I laid them down. After a few minutes we all agreed to put swimming and laying in the sunshine on hold until we had warmer temperature and the sun.

Robby spent the majority of his time in the Kid Club. It felt unnatural signing him into the play area and leaving him behind. Pang of guilt haunted me, flirting with feelings of inadequacy because I wasn't spending every waking moment on the cruise with him. I went to pick him up early this morning only to be shooed away. He was having fun and didn't want to come with me. I need to accept that he no longer needs me for entertainment.

With Robby busy playing with his new friends, Scott and I spent the afternoon exploring the ship, eating and relaxing. Well, in all honesty Scooter took a nap and I spent a few hours working on my computer while sitting on the balcony. Sitting in a lounge chair, looking over the ocean while hearing the breaking waves, I think I've discovered my ideal writing conditions. If I ever develop a severe case of writer's block, perhaps I'll just go on a cruise!

Today we are visiting Haiti, where we have arranged to visit a fishing village. (I felt compelled to arrange excursions that are quasi-educational, especially since Robby I missing a week's worth of school.) My little fisherman can hardly wait to meet the villagers and learn how to tie a fishing net.

I continue to struggle with both my mobility and pain, but I'm trying to make the most of an unfortunate situation. Although most of the passengers lamented the poor weather yesterday, I think that the day “off” was both needed and beneficial. I feel rested, and stronger this morning. I have a feeling I'm going to need all my strength to tackle our Haitian adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment