About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Friday, June 07, 2013

Homesick

Last night I had a wonderful dream: I was in college, surrounded by my friends and just having a good time. I was bi-legged, didn't have a husband and child, and didn't have any financial worries. I was just happy and laughing. Although I love my life, I have to admit that I was disappointed when I woke up!

The dream left me feeling both euphoric and deflated. I loved reliving the youthful and carefree emotions I experienced while in college. Like most things, I didn't appreciate that special time in my life until it was over.

It amazes me that I have been out of college for more than 15 years, yet I can still relive those days so vividly in my dreams. I miss those times, when my only responsibilities were making good grades and forming friendships. Of course, at the time it felt stressful, but I've come to learn that stress is relative to the situation. 

Ever since my dream, I have been feeling oddly homesick but not for my childhood home; after all I am lucky enough to visit my Mom on a regular basis. Instead, I'm longing for those late night pizza parties with my friends, midnight jaunts to the diner for pie and spur of the moment road trips to visit the beach. I miss the camaraderie of my college friends.

Although I'm still in contact with my friends from college, there is a closeness that has evaporated since we don't see each other daily. Instead of just opening up my dorm room and walking across the hall, now we must try to schedule phone calls and email messages. I hate that I am at a point in my life where my interactions need to be scheduled!

I live an active and involved life, so I was taken aback when I realized how isolated I am feeling. I think I need to schedule a girls' weekend. At this point, the sooner the better!

No comments:

Post a Comment