About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Friday, May 09, 2014

Mother's Day Weekend

Happy Mother's Day weekend. While I realize that the official day is Sunday, I believe that Mom's deserve to be celebrated for more than 24 hours. 51 weekends out of the year are dedicated to everybody else; the next two days belong to me.

I'm not expecting any surprises or elaborate celebrations in my honor because, in our house, Mother's Day weekend is based heavily upon tradition. The presents and obligatory doting have remained constant throughout the years.

My Mother's Day weekend officially starts this evening at 6:00 pm. After this designated time, the boys are banned from referencing farts, poop descriptions, and all other bodily functions. They are no longer allowed to play "Pull my Finger," "Guess that Smell" or their new favorite "Name that Burp Song."  In my opinion, one weekend without bodily humor is far better than the traditional flowers and candy!

Sunday morning Scott and Robby will wake up and hang my "World's Best Mother" banner from the deck. Scott requisitioned the banner for my first Mother's Day, and it has been hung every year. While he always remembers to hang the banner, he is a bit lax about taking it down. It turns out that last year Mr. Bill and another neighbor had a bet contingent upon how long Scott would leave the banner hanging. Mr. Bill offered double to one odds that the banner would still be hanging beyond the Fourth of July. I'm embarrassed to admit that he won the wager when I finally took it down in September.

I am hoping that the boys will honor my request and forgo the traditional breakfast in bed. With having to wake up every hour to feed Timmy, I would prefer sleeping rather than scrambled eggs and bacon. Hopefully Scott, Robby and Timmy will honor this simple request!

Whatever your traditions may be, I wish you all a Happy Mother's Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment