About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Thursday, May 08, 2014

Twinkie Proposal


Although I know that he is almost eight years old, I still have a difficult time thinking of Robby growing up. In my eyes, he is frozen as that curious little four-year-old with the gapped tooth grin. Every once in awhile I see glimmers of him living a "big boy" life, and I almost always do a double take. I can't believe that he is changing so quickly!

Robby's age is most apparent when I see him at school, playing and interacting with his peers. Looking at all of his classmates provides an unwelcome reality check. My sweet little toddler has become a full-fledged elementary student. 

Although I miss my curious little sidekick, I absolutely adore my not-so-little-anymore boy. He is funny, smart and empathetic. Much to my chagrin, he is also quite a little lady's man. All of the little girls in his class fight to sit next to him, lobby to play with him on the playground, and shower him with attention. Seeing the interactions, I knew it was a matter of time before the telephone calls started.

Last night, the first dreaded call was received. I answered the phone and heard a high-pitched sassy voice say, "Hi. I want to speak with Robby please." I was taken aback by the request, Robby isn't much of a phone talker, but I calmly handed my little guy the receiver and sat on the couch. I know that someday he will want privacy on the phone, but there was no way I was leaving the room. My curiosity was piqued by the unexpected call.

Robby is chased by all the girls, but this is apparently not because of his conversation skills. He is a man of few words, a fact made more pronounced over the phone. He continued to play the Xbox throughout the phone call, only pausing to say one complete sentence. "Sally (the name has been changed to protect her identity) I don't want a wife right now, but I'll take the Twinkies." He then hung up the receiver and handed it to me. 

I almost jumped in front of the Xbox as I peppered him with questions about what he told Sally. He finally stopped playing long enough to explain the call. "Momom, Sally wants to be my wife. She told me that she will bring me Twinkies tomorrow. I told her that I don't want a wife, but that I'm cool with the Twinkies." 

Yikes! He is only 8 years old, and it is already starting. I can't fathom proposing and bribing boys with baked treats when I was 8 years old. I was lamenting how quickly Robby was growing up, but apparently he has nothing on some of these girls!

No comments:

Post a Comment