About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Monday, June 16, 2014

Helpers

This past weekend is nothing more than a medicated blur. After nearly two days of dutifully following all doctor's orders, the pain finally faded to a tolerable level. Mind you this doesn't mean that I am pain free or even comfortable, but the fact that I am no longer trembling and fainting is a move in the right direction.

Thankfully my mom has been here to help. Taking care of Timmy while enduring the severity of pain I was experiencing would have been impossible. It was reassuring to know that he was being taken care of, and was being cuddled and loved, when I was unable to be there for him.

Robby has been a wonderful helper. Eager to bring me ice packs, drinks of water or a turtle for company, he has happily honored every request. This is the first time he has seen me debilitated by pain, and he has risen to the occasion.

I also know that my helpful little Koopa also has been worrying about me. I received an email from his teacher Friday morning, informing me that Robby had been crying and fretting. When I read the email to my mom she agreed it would be best for him to come home. She picked him up early, explaining to him that between Timmy and me, she needed his help. He eagerly accepted the responsibility and spent the afternoon being the best eight year old caretaker ever.

Now that the pain is responding to the medication I am definitely more comfortable. I would not recommend a re-amputation surgery, but in the long term I know I will be happy with the decision.  At least, that's what I keep telling myself when my leg is in the midst of another torturous cramp.

I would be remiss if I didn't wish my husband Scott a Happy Father's Day.  Our boys are lucky because you are their Daddy.  Love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment