About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

A Decade

Ten years ago today I was waking up in a beach cabana on the beautiful island of Anguilla. My Mom was with me, desperately trying to provide shelter for every stray dog on the beach (she even had invited one to spend the night in our room), as I frantically made lists to prepare for the day ahead. I knew it was going to be busy:  it was my wedding day!

Readying myself for the big event, I pulled Scott's carefully selected wedding outfit from the suitcase. Unfortunately the odor announced the clothes before they were unfolded. Sophie, our cat who recently passed away, was not adjusting well to the pre-wedding stress at our house. She had apparently hopped into the suitcase and peed all over the silk shirt and shorts. Needless to say, smelling her thoughtless "gift" the morning of our wedding was not a pleasant discovery.  I frantically called Scott with the news, hoping that he would use his last few hours as a bachelor to go shopping.

Knowing that there was nothing I could do about the soiled outfit, my Mom and I made our way to the other side of the island for an afternoon at the spa. We were ushered into the posh establishment feeling that we were desperately out of place. The fact that their "one size fits all" robes would not wrap completely around our American sized bums did not help our case! Thankfully I was with my Mom, and we quickly began giggling at our awkward situation.

After getting massages by the beach, our nails polished and our hair coiffed, we were wedding ready.  (As a side note, getting a manicure at the beach is akin to throwing money into the ocean. Ten minutes after leaving the salon my polish was already chipping from the blowing sand.) We headed back to our little beach house and I put on my wedding dress. 

All of the activity and stress made me thirsty, so I took full advantage of the champagne provided.  This is probably my
favorite wedding photo because it reminds me of the fun time I had with my Mom as we prepared for the ceremony. Every time I see this picture I smile.

Walking down the sand aisle, I saw Scott smiling at me from the alter. I then noticed that he was wearing the pee-covered clothes.  So much for going shopping on his last day of freedom!

The ceremony did not go as planned. In the midst of our ceremony, the minister took it upon himself to dishonor our directive to remain non-denominational. Thinking we were going to exchange vows, I was stunned to be actively quizzed on the Bible. Even more frustrating than the questions was the fact that we didn't know the answer, resulting in a long, and in my opinion, highly inappropriate rant, from the minister. 

It has been ten years, but the uncomfortably religious ceremony remains high on our "Do Not Talk About" list. Time heals so many wounds, but apparently it hasn't touched my memories of that day. I have come to accept that I will always harbor some resentment about being made uncomfortable during our wedding.  I have learned that the best way to deal with my sour memories is simply to avoid the topic.

Regardless of the ceremony mishaps, today we are celebrating ten years together. It is hard to believe that we have been married for a decade! Lacking a babysitter, this evening we will be celebrating with an intimate dinner for four, probably at Chick Fil-A or IHOP if we listen to Robby's pleas.  Although not terribly romantic, somehow it feels like the perfect date. 


No comments:

Post a Comment