About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Thursday, July 31, 2014

Happier

Yesterday morning, on a whim, I packed up both boys and headed to Pennsylvania. I was feeling blue and knew that  spending a few days with my Mom would be the mood lifter I needed.  It wasn't until I was buckled in that I realized that I haven't driven in nearly 7 weeks. Although I'm not walking with ease, being mobile and independent again is absolutely wonderful!

I met my Mom at an activity resort near her house which touts rope courses, various climbing activities, OGO balls and bumper boats. Because she lives so close, and because my sister's three children live with her, she surprised us in the Spring by buying a membership for everybody. Unfortunately I haven't been able to utilize my membership because of my surgery.

Robby has been to Mountain Adventures several times already and always has a great time. He and his cousins run around in the fresh mountain air for hours while my Mom (aka Nana) sits on the shaded porch and relaxes. It is the perfect set up for everybody involved!

This is the first time I've been able to go and, although I couldn't do any of the activities, it was nice to feel involved and included. Sitting in the sunshine, holding Timmy and watching Robby run around with his friends, I felt all of the medical stresses melting away. For a few hours, I didn't worry about recovering from leg surgery or preparing for the next one. I just felt happy, which is something I haven't truly felt in seven weeks.

I am not going to be able to participate in the activities this year, but next summer will be a different story. I'll be healed, healthy and ready to go. In the meantime, I'll spend the next few days getting stronger in preparation for my next surgery. Thankfully I'm able to walk, which has done wonders for my mood. Everything is a little easier when you're happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment