About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Tuesday, October 28, 2014

A Box of Twinkies

Yesterday morning was a rough one. For the first time in over a year, Robby broke down sobbing because he didn't want to go to school. I've tried to soothe his feelings of rejection, but unfortunately Momom can't fix everything. 

He was harboring hard feelings towards his classmates who stood him up for this party. Meanwhile I was feeling frustrated with their parents for rudely not responding to my texts or emails. It is safe to say that both of us were dreading walking into the school yesterday morning. I knew that my only salvation would lie in remaining silent and, let's face it, that has never been a strong suit of mine. Our feelings were too raw for any productive conversation to ensue. 

My little guy is growing up so quickly, but yesterday morning he reminded me of the scared little Kindergartener venturing into unknown territory. I knew that he was both hurt and angry, but I could only hope that we provided him with the mechanism to cope through his emotions. I realized that parents feel their child's pain with an unimaginable intensity.

I stopped by during his lunch to check on him.  He seemed to be doing okay, but the sadness persisted. He asked me to cancel the school Halloween party because his "classmates don't deserve it."  When I told him that we couldn't cancel because we committed to it, he begrudgingly agreed but suggested that a box of Twinkies should suffice. 

By the time I picked him up from school he still seemed downtrodden but not nearly as deflated. He still doesn't want me to host a big class party on Friday, and I will honor his request by scaling back. Honestly, right now I don't feel like investing of energy and money in the event.  We'll probably do cupcakes instead of Twinkies, but not much else. I feel like it is time for another parent to step up to the plate and give back. I'm tired of always being the only one, especially after the big party snub!

No comments:

Post a Comment