About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Sad Morning

Even though I was expecting to receive the news, I found myself distraught and heartsick when the call finally arrived. My Uncle George, my Mom's only brother, passed away. His passing left a deep void in our family, and we will miss him dearly.

Three weeks ago he was relaxing on a cruise with his beloved wife, and now she is mourning his death. George's health seemed to fail at warp speed and we are having trouble grasping what has transpired. I know it is going to take a long time for all who loved him to process the timeline.

I am thankful that my cousins were all able to visit and spend time with their dad during his final days and hours. My Aunt is waking with a broken heart this morning, but she is not alone. Her house is full of her children and grandchildren which I know will be a comfort. I also know that the real journey will begin after everybody returns home and life resumes a new normal.

I'm worried about my Mom, but since this is the last week of school I can't pull Robby to go spend time with her. My instinct is to hop into the car and start driving to visit her, but I know I need to wait until school is out on Thursday. I don't want to deprive Robby of the hijinks of the last few days of classes (and recesses).  I also know that she is busy watching my sister's cherubs in what she has dubbed "Camp Nana," so she is neither lonely nor idle. She will be busy taking care of three boisterous kiddos, and perhaps the distraction will help her in the coming days. Although I have also learned that grief has a way of sneaking into the busiest of lives at the most inopportune times!

I am going to miss my Uncle George, and my heart breaks for my Mom, my cousins and my Aunt Corrie.  None of this makes sense at the moment and I feel like my head (and heart) are still reeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment