About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Monday, July 27, 2015

Leaving Oz

This past weekend was one full of emotions. I missed Timmy terribly, and couldn't wait to get home and hold him again. While I loved hearing the tales of his (mis)adventures from my Mom, part of me hurt with each conversation because I was missing everything. Logically I knew that I was being silly, that he wasn't going to completely change or forget me in a few short days. My heart fluctuated between believing my logical explanations and missing my baby so much I was ready to start walking home to get to him.

By Sunday morning I was awake early, packed and ready to go home. Walking down into the hotel lobby, I was swarmed by my amputee friends saying goodbye. I always hate goodbyes!  Not only was I hugging dear friends, I knew that I was also bidding farewell to the wonderful feeling of being in the norm. I left the fantastic and empowering land of Oz, where nobody stares and gawks, where legs and arms setting by the pool was the norm, where those missing limbs were in the majority and we weren't considered "disabled," as soon as I exited the hotel lobby and climbed into the van for the airport.  It will definitely take me a few days to acclimate to being the oddity. 

I flew all day (and most of the night), finally walking through my front door around three in the morning. I had a wonderful time at conference, but it is time to get back to reality. I can't wait to be reunited with Timmy later this morning, and to spend some quality time with my family.  Oz was wonderful to visit, but there is no place like home!

No comments:

Post a Comment