About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Wednesday, October 21, 2015

LumberJacks

We never made it to the farm yesterday. The stars finally aligned, and Timmy ended up taking a substantial nap. I decided that it would be more beneficial (for both of us) to allow him to sleep rather than wake him up and schlep him outside to play. I am amazed by the amount of work that I can accomplish during a few hours of quiet!

Of course, every action has a consequence.  Timmy had a lengthy nap in the afternoon, resulting in his sleeping poorly last night. He woke up at 3 AM. Although I was able to get him back to bed around 4, he was restless and awake (hence keeping me awake)  until I finally surrendered and released him from his crib at 5. The benefits I reaped yesterday were wiped out by one long night.

Somehow I have to tap into my energy reserves by the time Scott gets home from work. We rented a long splitter and need to clean up the yard. We have the machine for a week, but the amount of wood is overwhelming, and I'm beginning to worry that 7 days won't be long enough. I know that I have to stay  motivated and moving because if I relax, the project will never be completed. I don't want to be a nag, but I also don't want to be out the money for the rental and a yard still cluttered with wood. 

I'm still dealing with the sores on my leg. They continue to be painful but are not worsening, so I'm slightly optimistic that I am on the mend. I'm going to the doctor this afternoon to have him check it, and I wouldn't be surprised if I end up with antibiotics. I hate taking pills when they aren't necessary, but the sores have been oozing puss for a few days, and I think it is time to be aggressive. I've been dealing with this issue for a few weeks and I have exhausted all non-medicinal methods. 

Because of the sores, I have to be careful with how much I physically help with the log splitter. Rotating in my socket tends to aggravate the area, which is exactly what I don't want to do. A few years ago we would have been stuck, but now Scott has an eager and capable assistant in Robby. (Before the lectures start, we don't allow Robby to move or handle the logs. His job is limited to lever control and to moving the small pieces to the pile after they have been cut.) 

With my older boys splitting wood, I will be on Timmy duty. I'm sure he is going to want to be outside and part of the action, which is going to clash with my keeping him a safe distance away from the workers. I'm hoping that he becomes bored watching the splitting and I will be able to occupy him with his favorite outdoor activities--picking up nuts and throwing sticks into the woods. Who knows, maybe all of the excitement will tire him out and he'll sleep well past dawn. 

No comments:

Post a Comment