About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Juggling Schedules

A few years ago I stopped considering myself to be a stay at home mom. It took me awhile to realize that, although I work from home, I am putting in more than 40 contract hours per week for various employers. I am, in essence, a mom who happens to work at home while trying to juggle her kids at the same time.

I am extremely fortunate to be able to work from home, and I try never to take this benefit for granted. I sometimes feel like I am going batty as I struggle to keep up with Timmy and Robby while maintaining my professional responsibilities, but I wouldn't change my situation for anything in the world. If you ask me, I have the best of both worlds. I'm able to keep Timmy at home while earning a steady paycheck, all from the comfort of my house while wearing my cozy pink monkey pajamas. 

Every once in awhile a situation arises that necessitates me going into the office. During those circumstances, I'm forced to become creative when it comes to securing childcare for Timmy. When I learned that I needed to spend the entire day in the office yesterday, my first response was panic. It's difficult for me to ask for help, but I'm learning that it is okay to admit that I can't do it all. After a few phone calls, I managed to find care for him at Robby's school in the morning. Thankfully Scott was able to manipulate his schedule to pick him up at lunch time for the rest of the afternoon.

With Timmy's care situated, I was able to focus on the work at hand. I still don't like going to the office, but I tried to make it as productive as possible. Because of the near Herculean task of securing care for Timmy, I wanted to make sure that I accomplished everything necessary during one visit. 

As soon as my life calms down a bit (don't laugh, it could happen) I am going to start investigating child care. I am still going to keep Timmy home with me, but it will be nice to know that we have a viable back-up plan that doesn't involve begging and scrambling schedules. 

No comments:

Post a Comment