About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Monday, February 22, 2016

Terrible Twos?

Timmy the Terrible has shown up and is full of energy and mischief. I feel like the only words being muttered from my mouth are "no" and "stop it." Despite my efforts, he doesn't respond to my verbal commands. I would worry that he has a hearing issue, but the lad can hear a bag of potato chips being opened through two closed doors while the TV is blasting. I know that he hears my directive; he is just choosing to ignore me. 

I am at a loss about what to do to correct him. I've tried time-out, which only allows him time to jump in place. Taking away toys doesn't seem to be effective. He knows that what he is doing is naughty, yet he doesn't care. Scott and I do not believe in spanking, but we are at our wits end on how to correct his behaviors.

I know that consistency is key, so we are trying to stay the course to correct his mischievous actions. I don't remember raising a toddler to be so exhausting!  Of course, as I am constantly reminded, I was nearly a decade younger the last time I went through this stage. 

1 comment:

  1. The book I love on ages and stages and discipline is a great one for parents like us who don't want to spank. It's called Discipline Without Distress: 135 tools for raising caring, responsible children without time-out, spanking, punishment or bribery (by Judy Arnall) -- and I highly recommend it! I loved how she begins her section on 2 year olds: "Most parents believe that REAL discipline starts at the toddler stage, when they are up and getting into things. Parents believe that if they don't nip many behaviors in the bud at this stage, the behaviors will grow and become monstrous later on and their children will be destined to become criminals because they were too lenient when they were toddlers. NOT TRUE!

    The toddler stage is not a stage for real reasoning yet. They are just beginning to learn they can't have their way all the time. Hence, the temper tantrums. The toddler's physical development has no self-control, internal restraints, logical reasoning, or negotiation. This is critical. The most parents can do at this stage is keep the toddler safe by childproofing, supervision, and teach by redirection and substitution. The good news is the toddler is still small enough to pick up and move around, away from danger and non-parent approved situations. Real teaching and discipline can come later in the preschool years, when brain development is much more advanced."

    ReplyDelete