About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Tuesday, May 03, 2016

Riding

Robby and I have been thoroughly enjoying training for the Great Cycle Challenge. Each night after dinner and after we tuck Hamlet into bed, we hop onto our bikes and meander through the neighborhood. He talks as he pedals, allowing me a precious insight into his world and thought process.  Between his new bicycle and more time in the saddle, he is turning into a strong rider. 

I have always loved riding my bike and being able to share this activity with Robby has only enhanced my enjoyment. When I became an amputee I was convinced that I would never again feel the exhilaration that comes from riding. I settled for a stationary bike out of a fear which had grown to irrational proportions. I became so paralyzed by my fear of falling or of my leg falling off while pedaling that I refused to even try for almost a decade. It wasn't until I saw Robby overcome his fear of the bike that I realized I needed to follow his example. 

Riding with a prosthesis feels almost identical to when I had both biological legs. I'm decidedly more cautious, but at my age that probably isn't a bad thing. After all, falling off a bike in your 40's could be considerably more painful with a lengthy recovery than when I was Robby's age. 

I'm so happy that I overcame my cycling phobia. If I had let my fears continue to hold me back, I would be missing out on this great quality time with Robby. He is at an age where he would rather spend time with his friends or on the computer. The fact that he asks to go riding with me is something that I don't take for granted.  (Rest assured, little Timmy gets plenty of riding time. I frequently stick him into his baby buggy and pull him around the neighborhood when the weather is favorable.)

No comments:

Post a Comment