About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Wednesday, March 01, 2017

Lessons on Slowing Down

The days at home have been beneficial for me in unexpected ways. I have been forced to slow down and relax. Whereas I'm always used to running around to visit various play areas with Timmy, we are now staying put. Not going anywhere was initially uncomfortable for me, but I am now finding the solitude relaxing.

Timmy doesn't seem to be missing our excursions. I worried that he would become cranky and bored without the excitement of adventures, but the opposite has happened. He and I have been spending hours playing in his new playroom, making up games and rediscovering toys we have long ago put away. He seems to be relishing the alone time playing with me.

The quiet time has done us both some good. My leg has almost completely healed, and I am no longer feeling pain or discomfort when I walk. My anxiety tracker is not buzzing nearly as frequently, and I am now caught up on laundry and housework. It turns out that my compulsion to remain in constant motion was a source of stress and anxiety. Now that I've slowed down, I am feeling more centered and comfortable.

Timmy is still not feeling well, so we will be holed up for awhile longer. When we are cleared to interact again with the public, I am going to take the lessons that I learned over the past two weeks to heart. Adventures are fun, but there is also value to staying still and playing at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment