About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Weight Loss Drawback

Since January I have lost nearly 30 pounds. While I'm delighted with my weight loss, it has not come without a cost. All of a sudden my leg doesn't fit, and I'm struggling to stay inside my socket.  My walking has been slowed because I worry that I'll step out of my leg entirely if I'm not deliberate and careful. I feel like this situation is the epitome of no good deed goes unpunished!

I have worked so hard to shed the pounds and I'm frustrated that my efforts to become healthier are directly responsible for my mobility issues. Where most people just need to change jean sizes when they lose weight, I need major socket adjustments for each 20 pound fluctuation.  A shrinking bum is something to be celebrated, but a reduction in limb size is not nearly as fun. Unfortunately there is no way to lose weight without impacting the girth of my limb, but that doesn't mean I have to be happy about it.

I am going to need to get a flexible liner made for the inside of my socket. Hopefully this will tide me over until my weight loss is complete, or until I lose enough to completely justify a new socket. I hate wearing a leg with the flexible liner, but I detest falling more so I will suck it up and wear it.

I've put a lot of work into losing the weight and I'm trying to not become discouraged by my ill-fitting leg. I know that the need for a new socket is a milestone in my weight loss journey. I am not yet at my goal weight, so I expect that this won't be the only time I shrink out of my leg. Looking on the bright side, at least I need a small leg instead of a bigger one!

No comments:

Post a Comment