About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Thursday, June 08, 2017

Phantom Reminders

I'm not sure if it was the rain or my body just surrendering after being in constant motion, but yesterday was not my best leg day. After I took my first steps I knew I was in for a struggle. The pain wasn't intense enough for me to be rendered immobile, but I hurt enough to be uncomfortable all day. I was constantly taking off my leg in an attempt to find relief.

Timmy was content to spend the day quietly playing with his trucks. I felt like a lazy Mom by not doing something more active with him, but I consoled myself with the knowledge that we were going to a play date in the park after we picked up Robby from school. It turns out that the park play date was a non-event. Although the other kiddos never showed up, we were met by torrential rain as soon as we pulled up to the playground. (More to come about the play date no shows in an upcoming blog.)


Hurting all day is draining. With each step I was rewarded with an electric shock shooting through my phantom bit toe. By the time I went to bed I felt both exhausted and disabled. I know that I am lucky to experience phantom pain infrequently, but when it does happens I can't help but feel defeated. Feeling pain in part of your body that is absent is infuriating!

No comments:

Post a Comment