About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Monday, July 24, 2017

Florida Bound

Greetings from Baltimore!

This morning our little family will be hopping onto a plane and flying to Florida. We are looking forward to a few days at the beach, relaxing in the sun and the surf. The highlight of our trip, and the impetus for the entire vacation, occurs on Thursday night, when Robby and Scott head out on a "turtle trek." Robby has been over-the-moon with excitement since we revealed that he is going to join rescuers on a nighttime turtle egg excursion. He is hoping that luck will go his way and that he will be fortunate enough to witness the hatching and the journey to the water. 

While we are all looking forward to our Florida vacation, I would be remiss if I didn't admit that I feel oddly conflicted because we are using the gift cards given to me by my Dad for our hotel room. I know that he wanted us to use them, but it feels like I am giving up the only thing I have left from him. I have hung onto the cards as if they were a golden treasure since he died. Using them somehow feels like I am saying goodbye again, but I know that allowing the value to expire is silly. I need to redeem his gift, and this feels like a good time to let go. 

I'm sure that swiping the gift card at check-in will feel bittersweet, but I am going to enjoy this vacation because it is what he wanted.  My Dad would be delighted to know that we are going to Florida, and that Robby will be going on a turtle trek because of him. Perhaps the best way to honor him now is to have a fantastic family vacation in his memory.

Of course, in order to have a fantastic vacation we need to reach our destination. Wish us luck flying with Hamlet! This morning is sure to be an adventure, and Scott and I will probably be exhausted and travel weary by the time we reach the hotel.  Hopefully he will behave, but judging from his enthusiasm I'm not overly optimistic. 

No comments:

Post a Comment