About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Monday, October 30, 2017

Accident

We were looking forward to spending Friday at Pumpkinville, playing and enjoying the beautiful fall weather.  With cool weather and a bright yellow sun shining, along with Robby and Scott both off school, it felt like the stars had aligned for us to have a wonderful day.  This school year has not been easy for Scott, making it difficult for me as well by proxy, and we were looking forward to a day of family fun.  It felt like a day of disconnecting from technology was exactly what we needed to reconnect and reboot. 

Our plans completely blew up during our drive to breakfast. In the IHOP parking lot we were in an accident. Everybody is fine although we were all quite shaken by the experience. After the accident we all decided to just go home. Nobody felt like having fun anymore.

Our SUV has seen better days and will be going into the auto body shop today. With over 200,000 miles logged already, I'm hoping that the insurance company doesn't decide to just total our vehicle. I am expecting a phone call today or tomorrow with the verdict, so fingers crossed!

Even though nobody was hurt, the accident continues to haunt me. I keep replaying the scenario, reliving the collision each time I remember. I know that cars can be replaced and that I need to focus on the positive, but my anxiety has been thrown into overdrive by the event. When I focus on the positive that nobody was injured, I immediately become panicked as I consider what could have happened. We were so incredibly lucky, and that realization also completely terrorizes me.  

The next few days I know that I will continue to be reminded by the accident. Even as the soreness in my back continues to lessen I'll be forced to recount the incident through conversations with insurance adjusters. I'm sure that my muscles will spasm again every time I retell the incident, and I have no doubt that it will spark more panic attacks when I am driving.  I'll be glad when the car is out of the shop, the insurance situation is settled and I can begin to compartmentalize the incident as something that happened in the past.  

No comments:

Post a Comment