About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Stir Crazy


Over the past seven days I have been tethered to the house by two sick kiddos. Last night I realized that I have only left the house twice, and both occasions involved going to a doctor's office or a hospital. Between chauffeuring Robby to and from activities and taking Timmy to various play opportunities, I usually spend a lot of time running around the community. I'm not used to being home for long periods of time. I'm starting to feel both antsy and depressed being so far removed from my normal routine.

Robby and Timmy are slowly improving, but their recovery isn't as quick as any of us would prefer. Both boys still have fevers and coughing fits, although the severity of both are decreasing daily. Until they are fever-free, which we don't expect to happen for another few days, we will remain quarantined. I wish I could use the time for fun activities, but I find that I am still in comfort instead of entertaining mode. 

Looking for the silver lining in an otherwise gloomy situation, I am happy to report that my limb is feeling better. I had been dealing with some minor skin irritation which was becoming uncomfortable and nagging. With my activities slowed down, my leg has begun to heal. Yesterday I realized that I hadn't cursed my prosthesis all day, which is a vast improvement over my situation a week ago. 

I knew when the sore began to manifest that I should temper my activities so that it would heal. But Timmy had recently discovered riding his balance bike and was thoroughly enjoying every moment in the unseasonably warm weather.  I refused to allow my leg to impede on his newfound happiness, so I did what parents do all the time. I sucked it up, took some Ibuprofen and pushed through the pain. I knew that it would be better for me to take off my leg and rest, but I didn't have it in me to pull Timmy away from something that he loved because of my limb issues. 

With the boys quieted by the flu, I have been able to rest my leg more than normal. At this rate, by the time the boys are recovered, my skin issues should be completely healed and we'll be ready for another family adventure. After the past week, I think we are all ready for some fun again!

No comments:

Post a Comment