About Me

My photo
I am a below knee amputee. More importantly, I am also Mommy to two boys, a very active 10 year old (Robby) and an mischievous toddler (Timmy). I have learned that being a parent with a disability can create some unusual and sometimes humorous situations. This blogger is available for hire! Let's talk and learn how a blog can expand your business.

Wednesday, October 03, 2018

Limb Loss Registry

I am not a number person, but I do appreciate that statistics carry weight with decision makers. I have often been frustrated by the commonly held assertion that 500 amputations occur every day in this country. Although the statistic is impressive on face value, I have never been completely confident in the research substantiating the claim. In fact, when I requested collaborating evidence, I was told to accept the statistic without question because "it sounds good to us." 

Recently a grant was awarded to create the National Limb Loss Registry. This registry will house public statistics concerning the community. With the constant warnings about identity theft, I was relieved to learn that all information is thoroughly deidentified before it is included in the registry. Finally, we will have concrete and verifiable information about the amputee community.

I fully admit that I was skeptical when I first learned about the registry. In fact, last night Dave and I recorded a podcast with him trying to convince me that the creation of a registry is a good thing for the community.  Check it out, and stay tuned for more information.


No comments:

Post a Comment